[TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Wed Mar 22 22:50:49 AEST 2017

On 20 Mar 2017, at 22:32, Ron Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> Just a bunch of Unix-smoking dope gurus.

I don't know about other people, but I think the whole dope thing is why computer people tend *not* to be hippies in the 'dope smoking' sense.  I need to be *really awake* to write reasonably good code (if ever I do write reasonably good code) in the same way I need to be really awake to do maths or physics.  So I live on a diet of coffee and sugar and walk around twitching as a result (this is an exaggeration, but you get the idea).  I have the strength of will to not use stronger stimulants (coffee is mostly self-limiting, speed not so much).

So I think that computer people have more in common with some kind of 50s coffee-shop jazz-listening hipster or 70/80s punk & post-punk (UK sense of both) people.  We're basically twitchy and unpleasant not mellow new-age easy-going people and our drugs of choice are stimulants not depressants.

Or perhaps I just want to be jack Kerouac (who, OK, was an alcoholic I think, but never mind I can imagine).

--tim