[TUHS] X, Suntools, and the like

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Mar 24 05:16:00 AEST 2017

<snip>

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017, jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com wrote:

> Well there is xrdp
> http://www.xrdp.org/

I'm a fan of this project.

> I’ve used this to ‘terminal server-ize’ our Oracle on Linux
> installs, as our DBA’s were used to Oracle on Windows (I know, I
> know, they also used to run it on Netware....) So the upshot is that
> on Windows you just fire up the rdp client, and connect into the Linux
> machine, and it’ll greet you with a login screen, login, and you
> have your desktop.  On the backend it’s the virtual X framebuffer,
> and xrdp does some vnc/mstsc type translation in the middle.

I'd describe xrdp as a VNC client that you connect to via RDP.

> It’s great for sharing out desktops, or if you have those old
> ‘windows terminals’ that can at least talk to a MS Terminal
> server.  It’s incompatible with the citrix stuff, but it’s pretty
> cool.

For whole-desktop sharing, yes, it's very nice.  Occasionally I try and
come up with ways to share a single app with it, to avoid the issue
where a network hiccup kills the app and you lose work.  Copious spare
time and all that...

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX