[TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Mar 24 06:18:27 AEST 2017

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017, Josh Good wrote:

> Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 21:28:40 +0100
> From: Josh Good <pepe at naleco.com>
> To: tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org
> Subject: Re: [TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?
>
> On 2017 Mar 20, 23:05, ron minnich wrote:
>> At the time I got into Unix in 1976, E. F. Schumacher's "Small is
>> Beautiful" book was fairly popular
>
>> (...) Those days are long gone of course; I noticed the other day that
>> on Linux there are 16 commands that start with ls, that do roughly
>> the same function, and nobody seems to think this is a bad thing. The
>> only place the original 'small is beautiful' Unix ideas continue on
>> that I know of is Plan 9.
>
> In RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.11 (without X-Window) I get:
>
> $ ls<tab>
> ls           lsattr       lsb_release  lshal        lspgpot
>
> Whereas in Ubuntu 14.04 (full desktop install) I get:
>
> $ ls<tab>
> ls           lsblk        lscpu        lsdvd        lsinitramfs  lsof         lspcmcia     lss16toppm
> lsattr       lsb_release  lsdiff       lshw         lsmod        lspci        lspgpot      lsusb
>
> But then, in UnixWare 2.1 I get:
>
> $ bash<enter>
> bash-2.01$ ls<tab>
>  (...no output...)
>
> So yeah, it's getting more bloated by the day.
>
> Anyone can contribute how is it on a recent OpenBSD without X-Window?

How about NetBSD 6.1.4:

$ ls<tab>
ls         lsb        lsextattr  lsof       lspci      lsx        lsz

Though only 'ls' and 'lsextattr' are part of the base install, the
others are owned by various things installed out of pkgsrc, ls[bxz] are
all from the same package.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX