[TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Mar 24 13:53:43 AEST 2017

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> Linux is weird.  It's not elegant like the early unix systems, it's
> not as well put together if you look at it through unix glasses (and
> don't get me started on plan 9 glasses).  But it is *useful*.  They
> favored useful over elegant.  I don't think they disliked elegant,
> I suspect that many of us would say they didn't have the good taste
> to do elegant, whatever.  It's useful.  I'll take that.  And it's
> really not that bad.  Unless you are grumpy and want a perfect world.

​I'll accept that and may be add - it's practical and get the job done.
Not pretty, but damned good for what you get.
That said, I do agree with Ron, it lacks elegance and some of the the
"cool" (like monokernel *vs* ukernel which has always pained me a little)​.
  But useful and practical is hard to argue -- darned glad to have it
around.