[TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?

Andrew Warkentin andreww591 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 22:48:12 AEST 2017

On 3/24/17, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:

> Does readlink need to exist as a system call? Maybe it should be
> possible to open and read a symbolic link - using a flag passed to open,
> like AT_SYMLINK_NOFOLLOW.

You have a point there. UX/RT will still obviously need to retain the
readlink() function (since compatibility with conventional Unix will
be a major feature, and it's also convenient to have a single function
to get the target of a link), although it could be implemented with a
normal read underneath. Same with opendir(), readdir(), and the like,
which I was definitely planning on implementing with normal reads
(under BSD they seem to already be implemented that way).