[TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?

Jason Stevens jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com
Sat Mar 25 23:48:50 AEST 2017

Ethernet wasn't really usable until switching...  And getting off of the thicknet.

That said, AT&T had their starlan thing that I've had the misfortune of using.  At least the PC had NDIS2 drivers that Windows 95 could use.

And of course there was FDDI that was going to take over the LAN, and ATM over the high speed WAN, replacing all the old leased lines T1/E1/J1's.

The big thing is that Ethernet doesn't require royalties, and as I mentioned switching greatly reduced the issues with collisions making them point to point on a switch, along with full duplex operation.  As soon as Ethernet hit 10gig for a fraction of the cost of OC-128 it was over for ATM.

Now we just do mpls and qinq.  Can't say I'll miss v35 connectors.