[TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 12:49:22 AEST 2017

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 6:35 PM Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

> There is very little in the world of networking that acts like a file. Yes,
> you can go all hammer-nail, and use read() and write() to get data back and
> forth, and think that makes it a file - but it's not.

The plan 9 networking stack, in use for over 25 years now, begs to disagree
with you. The model works wonderfully well in practice and even in theory.

To take one part of your note, can file reads time out? Well, yeah. We live
in a networked world and anything we can do with anything can time out. But
even in a pre-network world, assuming that "file I/O doesn't time out"
wasn't even true when -- and especially -- in the days of RK05 disk drives.

ron