[TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 13:49:43 AEST 2017

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 11:11 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

> I can't wait to see how you all fit remote procedure calls into a file
> paradigm.

I don't mean to sound flippant, but isn't that exactly what every RPC
protocol implemented on top of sockets has done for the last 30 or so years?

I feel like saying otherwise conflates two tangentially related things:
namespaces to name IPC endpoints in a "file" like manner, and an API to
deal with file-like objects as a byte stream on which one uses operations
like read and write. Certainly there is no REASON that sendto() et al can't
be implemented in terms of write(), but arguably the plethora of such as
*system calls* stems from the inability to name them in a way accessible to
open().

The plan9 model is imperfect but serves as the existence proof that it
*can* be done.

        - Dan C.