[TUHS] Happy birthday, PDP-8!

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Mar 27 05:49:30 AEST 2017

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017, Ron Natalie wrote:

> Ah yes, the machine with only 8 instructions (of course not counting all
> the multiplexing of OPR).
>
> I was always fond of TAD.  Not particularly reentrant version of
> subroutine linkage.

Yep, it could add, but not subtract.  Dammit, but I'm trying to think of
the CADET acronym; it went something like "Can't Add, Didn't Even Try".

And as for subroutine calls on the -8, let's not go there...  As I dimly
recall, it planted the return address into the first word of the called
routine and jumped to the second instruction; to return, you did an
indirect jump to the first word.  Recursion?  What was that?

Somewhere out there (tm), is a huge list of computer acronyms (and yes, I
know about "Instant Befuddled Mind", and "I've Been Misled" etc).