[TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?

Doug McIlroy doug at cs.dartmouth.edu
Mon Mar 27 13:36:42 AEST 2017

Nudging the thread back twoard Unix history:

> I really
> like how blindingly obvious a lot of the original Unix code was.  Not saying
> it was all that way, but a ton of it was sort of what you would imagine it
> to be before you saw it.  Which means I understood it and could bugfix it.

That's an important aspect of Thompson's genius--code so clean and right
that, having seen it, one cannot imagine it otherwise. But the odds are
that the same program from another hand would not have the same ring of
inevitability. As Erdos was wont to say of an elegant proof, "It comes