[TUHS] Release of 8th, 9th and 10th Editions Unix

Brad Spencer brad at anduin.eldar.org
Wed Mar 29 06:51:02 AEST 2017

Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> writes:

>> > Hmm, so the 4/110 being VME is for sure correct, I had one of those when
>> > I was at Sun.  The 3/50, I just don't think it was VME.  I believe they
>> > made a version that was a single VME board but so far as I know that was
>> > a different beast.  I could be wrong, I googled a bit and couldn't figure
>> > it out.
>> >
>> > What I know for sure is, unlike a 4/110, you couldn't open up the case
>> > and shove more VME stuff in there.  If the 3/50 was a VME board I'm not
>> > sure what the point was other than, perhaps, to reuse the same part in
>> > a small case.  I can't see Andy doing that, he was super cost sensitive.
>>

>> I think that the 3/50 was a "single board" VME system... and as you say
>> you really couldn't add anything to it.  I will pull one out and get
>> some close up shots of the connectors and perhaps the answer can be
>> determined by physical inspection.  I also looked at the config file for
>> NetBSD for the sun3 and it very much mentions vme all over the place,
>> but that may not have applied to the 3/50.  Is it possible that just VME
>> connector was used for power and the like... but nothing else??
>
> That actually rings a bell, could be.
>
> I think it was 3/110 that had the same case/bus as the 4/110.  Less sure
> about that, I'm not sure I've ever used a 3/110.  Got a lot of miles on
> a 4/110, did a ton of UFS work on that machine.

I took some more pictures.  The connector on the 3/50 is certainly VME.

http://anduin.eldar.org/~brad/sunstuff/Item_7B_board_connector.jpg
- the 3/50 without the memory expansion board, close up of the board
connector.

http://anduin.eldar.org/~brad/sunstuff/Item_7B_case_connector.jpg
- a very bad shot of the case that the 3/50 board goes into

http://anduin.eldar.org/~brad/sunstuff/Item_8_board_closeup.jpg
- a closer picture of the 4/110.  Note the three connectors.

http://anduin.eldar.org/~brad/sunstuff/Item_8_case_connectors.jpg
- the inside of the 4/110 case

--
Brad Spencer - brad at anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS