[TUHS] 8th Edition Research Unix on SIMH

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Wed Mar 29 20:41:57 AEST 2017

Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
 |On 03/28/2017 06:49 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
 |> But if people just have to press a button (basically), they won't learn
 |> anything. I guess I'm not understanding the point of the exercise? \
 |> To say they
 |> have V6 running? So what? All they did was press a button. If it's to
 |> experience a retro-computing environment, well, a person who's never \
 |> used one
 |> of these older systems is going to be kind of lost - what are they \
 |> going to
 |> do, type 'ls -ls' and look at the output? Not very illuminating. (On V6,
 |> without learning 'ed', they can't even type in a small C program, \
 |> and compile
 |> and run it.) Sorry, I don't mean to be cranky, but I'm not understanding \
 |> the
 |> point.
 |
 |Conceptually I agree.
 |
 |However, I've had to teach enough people to know that they need a way to
 |boot strap themselves into an environment to start learning.

That reminds me of the only service call i ever made to the RedHat
Service in Germany, likely about 18 years ago, when i asked them
how a system can be bootstrapped, how to overcome that chicken and
egg problem.

 |Thus I find having a streamlined process available to them to be
 |beneficial.  Then once they have gotten a taste, presuming they like it,
 |they can go back and attempt to do more complicated things.

There was only silence (but he really was a really good one and it
was a deafening silence).

That is what you are for, we only know about roasted chicken and
fried egg (only meant idiomatic) in real practice.

And thanks all living and all passed for the 8th, 9th and 10th
Edition, now i can complete the complete mail history (already
Mail and mailx in V10!).

--steffen