[TUHS] Release of 8th, 9th and 10th Editions Unix

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Wed Mar 29 18:51:12 AEST 2017

Peter Jeremy <peter at rulingia.com> wrote:

> On 2017-Mar-28 10:42:54 -0700, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> >and shove more VME stuff in there.  If the 3/50 was a VME board I'm not
> >sure what the point was other than, perhaps, to reuse the same part in
> >a small case.  I can't see Andy doing that, he was super cost sensitive.
>
> Unless you're planning on selling lots of them, using the same PCB and
> just not populating the bus interface logic might be cheaper than
> designing a new board.

It also helps to manage many of them in larger cabinets.

In 1991-1992, we added self made ISDN boards to the Boot-Prom socket of
Sun 3-50s, put several of them into a Sun/3-160 cabinet that then was put into
the computer room of the TU-Berlin as a ISDN<->IP gateway for students.

There was e.g. a cabinet with the machines named "fa", "so", "la" "si" in the
domain ".isdn.cs-tu-berlin.de".

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin