[TUHS] Ethernet in /dev (was Re: Were all of you.. Hippies?)

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Fri Mar 31 08:11:25 AEST 2017

Norman Wilson <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:

> But is IP done that way in SVr4 (or at least in Solaris, its
> most-visible descendant)?  I had the impression that the
> IP stack was more like the BSD one, with everything coupled
> together within the kernel and a fundamentally socket interface.

The code has been implemented in a way that mainly differs in that "ifconfig"
needs to be called with "ifconfig <ifname> plumb" before you can use the
interface.

In former times, sockets have been emulated in userland, but this prevents a
socket filedescriptor returned from a dup(sockfd) to work as expected. As a
result, POSIX later required sockets to be an integral part of the
implementation and sockets went into the kernel again.

BTW: there was a paper from Sun that explains that sockets are faster then
using the STREAMS based t_open() and friends.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin