[TUHS] dmr note on BSD's sins

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Wed May 3 02:11:52 AEST 2017

I recall a paper Dennis wrote (maybe more like a note) that was titled
     echo -c considered harmful
(I think it was -c).   It decried the tendency, now completely out
of control, for everybody and their dog to piddle on perfectly good
code just because it's "open".

Let's face it, programming languages today are more like shells --
they rise or fall on the quality of their libraries, and the
expression of algorithms (or even simplicity or efficiency) are
secondary.  And operating systems seem to exist mainly to host window
systems that vie for how deeply and obscurely they can hide vital
options, and pride themselves that striking any key at any time, no
matter how inadvertent, will cause some unexpected and unwanted
action.

I'm reminded of a friend of mine who took a math course, and said that
the professor "proved theorems by induction on the number of lemmas".

And yes, I'm sounding like a grumpy old fart this morning...

Steve