[TUHS] Discuss of style and design of computer programs from a

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Sun May 7 01:44:48 AEST 2017

On 6 May 2017 15:23 +0000, from rminnich at gmail.com (ron minnich):
> This is why the things like the Therac 25 happened ...
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25

Or the Ariane 5 flight 501, which according to Wikipedia cost more
than 370 million dollars (and resulted in the total loss of the
spacecraft). I would say a few million or even a few tens of millions
of dollars to double-check the software, or even write new software
specifically designed for the Ariane 5 rather than reuse software
designed for the Ariane 4 outside of that software's design limits,
might not have been a bad way to spend money there.

And that was in 1996. Hardly that long ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariane_5#Notable_launches

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_%28spacecraft%29

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se