[TUHS] Discuss of style and design of computer programs from a

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon May 8 23:39:36 AEST 2017

Nemo <cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 May 2017 at 11:23, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote (in part):
> [...]
> > Lest you think things are better now, Linux uses self modifying code to
> > optimize certain critical operations, and at one talk I heard the speaker
> > say that he'd like to put more self modifying code into Linux, "because it's
> > fun". Oh boy.
>
> Fun, indeed!  Even self-modifying chips are being touted -- Yikes!

You reminded me of these comments on a bug in NVidia's Tegra
"Project Denver" dynamic JIT firmware:

https://twitter.com/FioraAeterna/status/855445075341398017

https://twitter.com/eqe/status/855533948931252224

> This happened with TransMeta back in the day, and now with Tegra. I
> wonder if NVidia has a update deployment strategy...

(Marginally topical relevance is that Linus Torvalds worked for Transmeta)

Tony.
Lundy, Fastnet, Irish Sea, Shannon, Rockall, Malin, South Hebrides: Easterly
or northeasterly 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first, becoming variable 3 at times
later. Slight or moderate. Fair. Good.