[TUHS] C declarations.

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri May 12 08:32:32 AEST 2017

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 08:03:28AM +1000, David Arnold wrote:
> > On 12 May 2017, at 07:49, Ron Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:
> >
> > <???>
> > But if we're going to gripe about the evolution of C.   My biggest gripe is when they fixed structs to be real types, they didn't also do so for arrays.
> > Arrays and their  degeneration to poitners is one of the biggest annoyances in C.
>
> And, conversely (perversely?) one of its greatest joys.

I dunno if it is one of its greatest joys but pointers in C have always
made sense to me.

I'm curious as to what is busted about arrays in C?  To me they just
seemed like a way to define how to look at a wad of memory and they
seem to work for me.  About the only thing I don't like about them is
that there is no late binding as to the size, Ada has late binding and
I thought it could be useful (I only know because Rob Netzer and I
wrote an Ada compiler for CS736 at UW-Madison that did a lot of Ada
but exceptions and late binding we did not do).

--lm