[TUHS] The evolution of Unix facilities and architecture

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Fri May 12 11:41:51 AEST 2017

Consistent with what I remember of running fsck on Slackware in the 90s after unscheduled shutdowns.
I longed for the time I'd get back when ext3 was incorporated into Linux and ext2 was relegated to
legacy.

As far as I can remember ext2 was never journaled. I remembered getting quite excited reading about
the log-structured file system in the O'Reilly 4.4BSD-Lite CD. That made so much sense to me.

Quoting Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com>:

> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 09:47:01AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 May 2017, Larry McVoy wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Try the same thing with Linux. The file system will come back,
> starting
> > > with, I believe, ext2.
> >
> > That's a journalled FS, isn't it? In which case the transactions get
> > replayed.
>
> My memory is ext2 is not journaled, I think that happened in ext3. Or
> maybe it was an option on ext2? Either way, I think ext2 did the right
> thing without the journal.

"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor,
Method for Guitar

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." -- Samuel Goldwyn