[TUHS] The evolution of Unix facilities and architecture

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Fri May 12 23:56:59 AEST 2017

On 12 May 2017, at 09:17, Michael Kjörling <michael at kjorling.se> wrote:

> These days, for me, it's pretty much all ZFS

One of ZFS's particularly lovely features was that there was no offline filesystem checker at all.  So if you have a filesystem (pool, whatever) which you think something bad might have happened to, you check it *by mounting it*, where the checker runs *in the kernel, so any serious error in the code means a panic, if you're lucky and something worse if you're not.

When I found out about this I thought seriously of shorting Sun's stock (if I knew how to do that).  I would have made money.  As it was we stuck with logged UFS which, by 2007 or so was seriously bulletproof.

--tim