[TUHS] The evolution of Unix facilities and architecture

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat May 13 00:30:47 AEST 2017

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 02:56:59PM +0100, Tim Bradshaw wrote:
> When I found out about this I thought seriously of shorting Sun's
> stock (if I knew how to do that).  I would have made money.  As it was
> we stuck with logged UFS which, by 2007 or so was seriously bulletproof.

Wait, someone added logging to UFS?  Is there a writeup of that anywhere?
That would stomp all over my claim that nobody has hacked on UFS since
I did (which would be fine with me, I liked UFS, be cool if someone moved
it forward).

(pause while I google)

Yep, someone did.  I'd like to know who.  I found this:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/systems/linux/fs-performance-149840.pdf

Can anyone confirm those results?  That would be the first I've heard
of Solaris being faster than Linux.  If that's true has Linux tried
to implement the same sort of logging?

--lm

P.S.  I realize this isn't ancient Unix so I could move this to the
linux-kernel mailing list.  Though maybe it is appropriate, it's tech
from the 1990's - is that ancient enough?