[TUHS] The evolution of Unix facilities and architecture

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Sat May 13 01:52:50 AEST 2017

On 5/12/17 10:30 AM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 02:56:59PM +0100, Tim Bradshaw wrote:
>> When I found out about this I thought seriously of shorting Sun's
>> stock (if I knew how to do that).  I would have made money.  As it was
>> we stuck with logged UFS which, by 2007 or so was seriously bulletproof.
>
> Wait, someone added logging to UFS?  Is there a writeup of that anywhere?

You could look at the soft updates paper from 1999 for Kirk's perspective.

https://www.usenix.org/legacy/event/usenix99/full_papers/mckusick/mckusick.pdf

There was a paper about journaled soft updates, too:

https://www.mckusick.com/softdep/suj.pdf

Chet

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/