[TUHS] The evolution of Unix facilities and architecture

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat May 13 05:43:00 AEST 2017

Could be.   The scare was that the anti-UNIX folks would get wind of it and
it would used in the fight as to why VMS was 'better.' The CS Research
community has not yet made the switch off the 36 bit world to Vaxen, so the
Arpanet community is still pretty much PDP-10 central; but it was also
right around the time when DARPA was defunding the PDP-10; had chosen the
VAX but was arguing VMS vs UNIX.

I don't thing CSRG had been funded as a group yet. Joy might have done his
'fast vax' paper to show that UNIX was just as good as VMS, but that work
might be on the horizon.  Certainly all of 4.1a/b/c, 4.2, 4.3, NET-x was
years away.

The point is that you didn't (yet) have a mass of students on the systems
'in the field', but some folks had that as a vision (and want it to be that
way and are scared it something bad happens 'in the press' - it would cause
a set back.

At the that time, think a couple of Universities are >>starting<< to use
UNIX for general CS classes/teaching (Purdue & UCB being two of them),
maybe Michigan and U of I, but I think CMU and Stanford are still using
PDP-20's [not sure about MIT] (where Princeton and UCLA I think were still
IBM shops for undergrads).

So the whole reason to keep it quiet @ the USENOX conference was because it
was felt at the time, the folks in that room were the primary people
hacking the kernel and if we all took the couple of lines of fix back to
our shops, the problem was solved.

It sort of blows my mind if Doug never knew about it, in hind sight it
seems George got his wish!!

Clem