[TUHS] C declarations.

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon May 15 20:21:17 AEST 2017

Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 08:14:47PM -0400, Dan Cross wrote:
> > The kludge is that it works different than everything else for no really
> > good reason.
>
> I'd be curious what Steve thinks about all this, I know he weighed in
> a bit, but does he think that Dennis / Brian/ Ken regret this design choice?

I wonder how much of it was due to evolving in stages from BCPL, where
everything is a word, and structs and arrays are just pointers (with maybe
an allocation of space for the pointer to point to).

And C couldn't pass structs by value for quite a long time.

Tony.
Fair Isle, Faeroes: Southeast 5 or 6, increasing 7 or gale 8 for a time.
Moderate or rough, occasionally very rough in Faeroes. Fair then rain with fog
patches. Good, becoming moderate or very poor.