[TUHS] Unix with TCP/IP for small PDP-11s

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun May 21 04:18:30 AEST 2017

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 4:46 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se> wrote:

> On 2017-05-20 04:00, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
> https://ia601901.us.archive.org/10/items/bitsavers_decpdp11u
>> lLTRIX112.0SPDSep84_870730/AE-X370C-TC_ULTRIX-11_2.0SPD_Sep84.pdf
>>
>> Looks like it requires MMU, but not split I/D space as it lists the
>> following as compatible: M11, 11/23+, 11/24, 11/34, 11/40 and 11/60. It
>> does require 256kb of memory. See table 2, page 6 for details.
>>

> Uh...? Where do you see that there is any TCP/IP support in Ultrix-11? If
> any was done by someone else, there is no saying that it would be usable on
> a machine without split I/D. To be honest, I've never seen any mention of
> TCP/IP on any machine without split I/D space. I guess it could be done,
> but it would be a rather big headache...

I read the sources to see the TCP/IP support was there (that's the bit
about adding Berkeley Sockets). I see nowhere that it's excluded for the
non I/D machines, but haven't tried it first hand. I got interested not
because of the PDP-11, but because I have an old Rainbow that recently
started running Venix (v7-based version) and was trolling around for some
way to do TCP/IP to it (though w/o readily available ethernet cards, I'm
not sure it is a viable project).

Warner