[TUHS] Unix with TCP/IP for small PDP-11s

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun May 21 07:05:29 AEST 2017

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 2:40 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se> wrote:

> On 2017-05-20 20:18, Warner Losh wrote:
>

>> On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 4:46 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se
>> <mailto:bqt at update.uu.se>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 2017-05-20 04:00, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com
>>     <mailto:imp at bsdimp.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         https://ia601901.us.archive.org/10/items/bitsavers_decpdp11u
>> lLTRIX112.0SPDSep84_870730/AE-X370C-TC_ULTRIX-11_2.0SPD_Sep84.pdf
>>         <https://ia601901.us.archive.org/10/items/bitsavers_decpdp11
>> ulLTRIX112.0SPDSep84_870730/AE-X370C-TC_ULTRIX-11_2.0SPD_Sep84.pdf>
>>
>>         Looks like it requires MMU, but not split I/D space as it lists
>> the
>>         following as compatible: M11, 11/23+, 11/24, 11/34, 11/40 and
>>         11/60. It
>>         does require 256kb of memory. See table 2, page 6 for details.
>>

>>     Uh...? Where do you see that there is any TCP/IP support in
>>     Ultrix-11? If any was done by someone else, there is no saying that
>>     it would be usable on a machine without split I/D. To be honest,
>>     I've never seen any mention of TCP/IP on any machine without split
>>     I/D space. I guess it could be done, but it would be a rather big
>>     headache...
>>

>> I read the sources to see the TCP/IP support was there (that's the bit
>> about adding Berkeley Sockets). I see nowhere that it's excluded for the
>> non I/D machines, but haven't tried it first hand. I got interested not
>> because of the PDP-11, but because I have an old Rainbow that recently
>> started running Venix (v7-based version) and was trolling around for
>> some way to do TCP/IP to it (though w/o readily available ethernet
>> cards, I'm not sure it is a viable project).
>>

> You do know that the Rainbow is not a PDP-11, right?

Only since '84 when I bought mine... They are both small memory boxes,
though, and something that can run in a 256kB machine should be able to run
on a 892kB machine...  I have bits of mch.c/low.s from Venix that I can
leverage for the port to the Ultrix kernel to the 8088 that's inside the
Rainbow it would be running on.

Warner