[TUHS] Unix with TCP/IP for small PDP-11s

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon May 22 02:16:18 AEST 2017

On Fri, 19 May 2017, Clem Cole wrote:

> We did try to run on an 11/60 - which is 40 class as you asked, and we
> did get it work as I recall after a fashion.

Ah, the mighty 11/60; boy, but that takes me back.  We bought one to
replace our ageing /40, and I was fascinated by its octal display (yes, I
wrote an idle loop to shift its digits back and forth; there should be an
article somewhere in the AUUG archives).

Story time: DEC were flogging the /60s real cheap here in Oz, because a
deal with a major publisher (Murdoch?  Packer?  Who knows?) fell through
at the last moment, and they had an entire warehouse to shift.

Trivia: the thing was micro-codeable, and I had dreams of implementing the
Unix call/return sequences as single instructions, but I never did get a
round tuit.