[TUHS] Unix with TCP/IP for small PDP-11s

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Tue May 23 08:07:34 AEST 2017

Clem,

You've got me confused.

> The API pretty much worked this way...  there was one simple kernel hook.   A small mod was done to the old nami routine (what modern UNIX calls 'lookup'), as a path was being parsed, the rest of the path was left in place made available to other routines.

The UoI Arpanet code did not use the partial path parsing that you describe.
The namei() routine is unchanged (see http://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SRI-NOSC/ken/nami.c).

The code recognizes a network open, because the open() is of a special character file with major number 255;
the minor number would be the remote address (1974 arpanet used 8 bit network addresses - 6 bits IMP, 2 bits host).
If the 'mode' parameter to open() is 0, 1 or 2, then a NCP/telnet connection would be made to that host. If the mode parameter was anything else, it was a pointer to a data block with the full specification of the connection to be made. See:
http://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SRI-NOSC/ken/sys2.c - open1()
http://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SRI-NOSC/ncpk/nopcls.c - netopen()

The data block contained all the parameters that are set via calls to connect/bind/listen in the BSD sockets API.

> There were a couple of different schemes with V7's multiplexor call was created by Chesson for DataKit (which was similar to was used in the UofI code Arpanet code).

You've lost me here.

Paul