[TUHS] Unix with TCP/IP for small PDP-11s

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue May 23 23:43:51 AEST 2017

    > From: Paul Ruizendaal

    > I'm looking into the history of Spider and early Datakit. Sandy Fraser
    > was kind enough to send me the 1974 report on Spider

Is that online? If not, any chances you can make it so?

    > Does anybody know of surviving v5/v6/v7 code for Spider networking (e.g.
    > the 'tiu' device driver, the 'nfs' file transfer package, etc.)?

You're in luck.

To start with, check out:

  http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SRI-NOSC/dmr/oldstuff

which contains the drivers tiu.c, mpx.c - I'm not sure what other files there
are part of it?

I'm not at all clear how this stuff got there - someone at Bell must have just
dumped the contents of the 'dmr' directory, and sent it all off?

The PWB1-based MIT systems also have a lot of the Spider software (although it
was never used). It's a slightly different version than the one above: 'diff'
shows that 'tiu.c' is almost identical, but mpx.c has more significant
differences.

It also contains man pages, and sources for some (?) user programs; I have the
source and manpage for 'nfs'. What other names should I be looking for? (The
man page for 'nfs' doesn't list any other commands.) I'll put them up
momentarily.

In the meantime, I'll append the 'tiu' man page. There isn't one for mpx,
alas.

	Noel

--------

.th TIU IV 10/28/73
.sh NAME
tiu \*- Spider interface
.sh DESCRIPTION
Spider
is a fast digital switching network.
.it Tiu
is a directory which contains
files each referring to a Spider control
or data channel.
The file /dev/tiu/d\fIn\fR refers to data channel \fIn;\fR
likewise /dev/tiu/c\fIn\fR refers to control channel \fIn\fR.
.s3
The precise nature of the UNIX interface
is specified elsewhere.
.sh FILES
/dev/tiu/d?, /dev/tiu/c?
.sh BUGS