[TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 00:05:18 AEST 2017

Hi Ronald,

> On a few machines where I’m confronted with VI and no ed/emacs, I just
> use VI in “ex” mode.

One thing I miss with vim(1) is the lack of open mode, the half-way
house between ex and vi modes.  I still use ed daily when I know the
edit I want to do and have the context to work by, e.g. output from
previous commands, on the screen, that I don't want removed by a
full-screen editor.  But sometimes it would be nice to be able to `f(c%'
rather than always have to regexp the edit and vi's open mode would give
me that.

I've idly considered an ed that also maintained a cursor within the line
that could be used with vi-like commands.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy