[TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Thu Nov 2 07:04:20 AEST 2017

On Wed, 01 Nov 2017 14:37:42 -0600 arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
arnold at skeeve.com writes:
> Bakul Shah <bakul at bitblocks.com> wrote:
>
> > I think what Ralph wants is something like "LINES=1 vi"
> > but without clearing the screen so that commands that
> > are cursor relative can work. rlwrap and readline don't
> > edit the current line in the file, only the command input.
>
> OK, that I can understand.  It's ages since I played with
> readline, but I think you can preload the buffer it works on
> (bash does that, no?) so ed + readline could be made to work
> that way.

Editing that way seem is bass ackwards -- probably more code
would needed to interface with readline than just implementing
it in ed. As a one line version requires just line movement
commands, there is no reason why you can't use full power of
vi through a narrow window - such as d} to delete to the end
of para and have the next line dispayed. Readline wouldn't
help there. And readline weighs in @ 28K LOC to ed's 3.5K (on
plan9 it is under 1.6K).

> I already have too many side projects on my plate, or I'd try it. :-)

Ditto!