[TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 10:10:34 AEST 2017

Hi Arnold,

> I don't think I understand what you're getting at. It's been decades,
> I think, since I last saw / used open mode, which is what I thought
> you wanted, so I think I'm confused.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I miss open mode as vim doesn't have it, and
I'd sometimes find it useful.

Separately, I use ed regularly, and have though about its `compose a
command, submit it', model being extended to commands that act upon a
cursor that's within the line, just as `.' is the line within the file.
I don't mean readline editing of the command, nor of the current line in
the file.  More what one might see on the RHS of `:map Q ...', but in
the style of ed.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy