[TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Nov 3 06:29:16 AEST 2017

On 11/01/2017 04:51 PM, Norman Wilson wrote:
> Or, if you have moved beyond the era of simulated glass
> teletypes on graphics screens, you could do the editing
> in the terminal (program).

Maybe it's my naivety, but I can't visualize the workflow using
something else.  (I briefly tried finding videos to see it, but failed.)

> It's a real shame the mux/9term way of doing things never
> caught on.  I suppose it is because so many people are
> wedded to programs that require cursor addressing; I'm
> glad I never succumbed to that.

I've had people tell me things about 9term, but I can't fathom what
using it would be like.

> I use ed (or its cousin qed a la Toronto) for simple stuff.
>  Mostly I'll use the traditional commands, but sometimes
> I will, in mux/9term style, print a line with p, type
> c, edit the line on the screen, pick it up and send it,
> type . return.

What do you mean by "pick it up" and "send it"?

Will you please elaborate on what your day to day process (using 9term's
editing ability) is like?

> And of course I can do that sort of thing with any program,
> whether or not it is compiled with some magic library.
>
> All this is something of a matter of taste, but I have
> sometimes amazed (in a good way) my colleagues with it.

:-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die