[TUHS] Fwd: [Simh] An abandoned piece of K&R C

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Mon Nov 6 02:18:33 AEST 2017

I'm not aware of any C implementation that actually generated code for
MAX and MIN using these operators, although the operators were
certainly discussed with that spelling.  I think many people just
made do with:   #define MAX(a,b)  ((a)>(b))?(a):(b)
despite the fact that it is wrong if a or b has side effects.   And
with register variables, you could generate excellent code for max and
min if that was a consideration.

I think the reason was partly that the operators look a bit clunky.
 And also that the implementation, like ? :, can be trickier than it
first appears...

Steve