[TUHS] Fwd: FW: The Kill-9 Rap

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 02:24:33 AEST 2017

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Steve Nickolas <usotsuki at buric.co> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Nov 2017, Dan Cross wrote:
>
>> [*] "The Boogie Down" is hip-hop slang for the New York City borough
>> of the Bronx and is generally credited as the place where rap/hip-hop
>> was born in the early-1970s. Google did a doodle for this earlier this
>> year:
>> https://www.google.com/doodles/44th-anniversary-of-the-birth-of-hip-hop,
>> narrated by the one and only Fab 5 Freddy.
>
> That would explain the name "Boogie Down Productions" that got sampled a lot
> around the turn of the millennium.

Close. "Boogie Down Productions" is a specific group (actually a trio)
that formed in the South Bronx (I guess the term "Boogie Down" is kind
of specific to the South Bronx; I mean, it's kind of hard to image
much boogie-ing happening in Parkchester or Riverdale...). BDP's only
constant member, KRS One, was/is highly influence and considered
something of an elder in the rap community.

I'm afraid this is VERY far afield from the typical TUHS content,
though. In deference to other list members, I'm going to bow out of
the history of hip hop and NYC geography before I incur the wrath of
Warren et al. :-)

        - Dan C.