[TUHS] origins of void* -- Apology!

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Nov 8 22:48:47 AEST 2017

Nelson H. F. Beebe <beebe at math.utah.edu> wrote:

> 	% cat *.log | grep '^ char type is' | sort | uniq -c
> 	    157         char type is          signed
> 	      3         char type is          unsigned
>
> The sole outliers are
>
> 	* Arch Linux ARM on armv7l
> 	* IBM CentOS Linux release 7.4.1708 on PowerPC-8
> 	* SGI IRIX 6.5 on MIPS R10000-SC

Nice survey, thanks!

I learned C using the Norcroft C compiler on early Acorn / ARM machines
where char was unsigned. That is still the case, though ARM have switched
from Norcroft to clang.

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0774h/kpr1493281322162.html

(And I started learning about unix from reading articles about RISC iX,
Acorn's 4.3BSD port to the Archimedes.)

Tony.
Tyne, Dogger: Variable 3 or 4, becoming west or southwest 5 to 7, perhaps gale
8 later in north. Slight, becoming moderate. Occasional rain later. Good,
occasionally moderate.