[TUHS] C question for the historians

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Thu Nov 9 06:55:56 AEST 2017

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017, ron minnich wrote:

> There's a lot of weird lore around use of C nowadays, a lot of it in my
> experience from folks who come from Java. But this w & MASK discussion is
> one of the weirder ones.
>
> For me one of the worst is the 80-column requirement that came from out of
> I don't know where. Let's see, we're all getting 4k monitors, and yet
> somehow
> 80 columns is how we have to write code? Hollerith would be proud.

I can fit 115x38 in my standard text editor on a 1280x1024 display and
although I often write to the size of the window, I still consider 80
columns, or more correctly *79* columns, the limit that my lines should
not exceed for hysterical reasons (and when I used EDIT in MS-DOS, this
limit was usually 77 but I walked over it all the time).

-uso.