[TUHS] pre-more pager?

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 07:18:03 AEST 2017

On 11/8/17 1:22 PM, Random832 wrote:
> Some of these are for V7 or V6 contemporary PDP-11 Unixes, and most of
> them are far simpler than more so you should have little difficulty
> getting them working anyway.
>
> Links:
> http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=1BSD/s6/cr3.c
> http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=2BSD/src/cr3.c
> http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=2.9BSD/usr/src/ucb/more.c
> http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=32V/usr/src/cmd/pg.c
> http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=AUSAM/source/S/pg.c
> (apparently unrelated to the 32V version)
> http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SRI-NOSC/s2/pg.c
> http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=OpenSolaris_b135/cmd/pg/pg.c
>
> https://danhalbert.org/more.html - mentions cr3

It makes sense that it used to be paper based and slow on screen.

Regarding the links and old bsd's. The binary cr3 on 1bsd works in v7.
Also, the book I'm reading has a c program that does paging. But, I'm
always off down the rabbit hole... I tried to compile the cr3.c source
and I get this error:

# cc cr3.c
Undefined:
_fout
_flush
_getc
_end

My understanding is that cc includes libc by default, so these must not
be in libc. But getc is standard lib, so what am I missing?

Thanks,

Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF