[TUHS] 80 columns ...

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Nov 9 07:40:36 AEST 2017

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 04:34:13PM -0500, Dan Cross wrote:
> >> The thing that sort of vexes me about these arguments is that the
> >> number 80 is so arbitrary.
> >
> > Not really.  Programmers need windows side by side.  Lots and lots of bit
> > mapped displays can handle 2 80 column windows at a reasonable font size.
>
> Lots of them can also handle two 100 column windows, or perhaps more

Sure, my laptop can.  But what about the ones that can't?

> > And I made the point about side by side diff tools.
>
> But what about 3-way merge tools?

Dude, you're talking to the guy that invented distributed source management
and has written what is likely the best 3 way merge tool on the planet (jk,
it's good though).  My 3 way merge

	[ left version ] [ right version ]
	[ left version ] [ right version ]
	[ left version ] [ right version ]