[TUHS] 80 columns ...

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Thu Nov 9 09:24:38 AEST 2017

On Thursday, November 9, 2017, Arthur Krewat <krewat at kilonet.net> wrote:

> On 11/8/2017 6:07 PM, Andy Kosela wrote:
>
>> For me changing 80 columns and/or 8 character Tab is like trying to
>> change the value of Pi.  I consider those the holy rules you just don't
>> change.
>>
>> But I am probably in minority group these days as I still use a lot of
>> old school 80 columns VT terminals -- vt220 and vt320 are my personal
>> favorites.
>>

> xterms killed that requirement for me a long time ago.

I still use 80 columns on my xterms.  Like Larry said, most things in Unix
still looks perfect on 80 columns display, plus it's easier to read -- less
eye movements from left to right.  If you think about it, regular books
have a similar format.  It has been scientifically proven that very long
lines are just harder and slower to read.

--Andy