[TUHS] finding help in v7 in 1980

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Sat Nov 11 04:18:56 AEST 2017

On 10 Nov 2017 12:00 -0600, from will.senn at gmail.com (Will Senn):
> In V7, it's trickier because apropos doesn't exist, or the
> functional equivalent man -k, for that matter and books are hard to
> find (most deal with System V or BSD. I do find the command 'find
> /usr/man -name "*" -a -print | grep task' to be useful in finding
> man pages, but it's not as general as apropos.
>
> So, what was the process of learning unix like in the V7 days? What
> were your goto resources? More than just man and the sources? Any
> particular notes, articles, posts, or books that were really helpful
> (I found the article, not the book, "The Unix Programming
> Environment" by Kernighan and Mashey, to be enlightening
> https://www.computer.org/csdl/mags/co/1981/04/01667315.pdf)?

Semi-related thought, possibly helpful: Did the manuals (I mean the
printed ones) have indexes that were meaningful for such purposes? I'm
thinking something like the output of apropos / man -k, not just a
listing of command names and page numbers.

Sure knowing that the description for how to use ls was in section 1
page 42 might have been _helpful_, but not really for finding out _how
to list files_ in the first place...

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se