[TUHS] 80 columns ...

David Arnold davida at pobox.com
Sat Nov 11 19:24:41 AEST 2017

(apologies for prolonging this thread)

For me, context is everything while programming.  Header, code, the other code, man page, spec doc, etc.  I usually manage that by getting as many “terminals” as I can on screen: 4 side-by-side xterms, 80 rows of 80 columns using 6x13 font on my 1920x1200 screen.  The choice of 80 columns, as has been pointed out, is arbitrary (and historical), but I find it’s a reasonable compromise between clarity of the code (minimal line breaking) and maximising context (4 columns, rather than fewer).  If you’re using 132 columns, you almost completely eliminate line-wrapping, but you’re also wasting a lot of visual real estate as the great majority of lines are less then half that long.

That said, 80 columns doesn’t work for Java: C is fine, C++ mostly ok, Python is ok, but with Java, the naming culture is for incrediblyLongDescriptiveNamesForEveryThing, and even 132 columns can be too tight.

To be honest though, it’s vertical space that I find more important: being able to see the entire function, or all the related header definitions, etc, without scrolling means far less cognitive overhead.  Four lots of 80 rows is *so* much better than one lot of 24 as to be almost indescribably more productive.