[TUHS] Version 8 will never come out!

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 01:04:26 AEST 2017

Reading in the AUUGN vol 1 number 4, p. 15 in letter dated April 5,
1979, from Alistair Kilgour, Glasgow writing to Ian Johnstone, New South
Wales about a Unix meeting in the U.K. at University of Kent at
Caterbury (150 attended the meeting) with Ken Thompson and Brian
Kernighan...

Two paragraphs that I found interesting and fun:

     Most U.K. users were astonished to hear that one thing which has
_not_ changed in Version 7 is the default for "delete character" and
"delete line" in the teletype handler - we thought we'd seen the last of
# and @! What was very clear was that version 7 is a "snapshot" of a
still developing system, and indeed neither speaker seemed quite sure of
when the snapshot was taken or exactly what it contained. The general
feeling among users at the meeting was that the new tools provided with
version 7 were too good to resist (though many had doubts about the new
Shell). We were however relieved by the assurance that there would
_never_ be a version 8!
     Finally a quotation, attributed to Steve Johnstone, with which
Brian Kernighan introduced his excellent sales campaign for Unix on the
first day of the conference: " Using TSO is like kicking a dead whale
along the beach". Unix rules.

I knew it, it's not just me - those pesky # and @ characters were and
still are really annoying! Oh, and never say never. Unix does rule :).

Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF