[TUHS] OK, no more 80 cols please

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Nov 12 14:00:24 AEST 2017

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017, Steve Nickolas wrote:

> I would kill for a semi-modern terminal in an ADM3a/5 type chassis.
> Something about the late 70s pastel googie BakeLite look I just dig.

Seeing as we're talking about old Unix-y terminals, the ADM-3a was
certainly one of my favourites; there was something about the keyboard
layout that just screamed out "Unix".  Was it the unshifted "=" key?  The
unshifted "[]" keys?  Can't remember now, but C programming was a breeze
with it.

Another favourite was the Teleray 1061, with user-programmable function
keys; yes, we were dumb enough to store our username/password there...

The *worst* terminal I've ever had to use was the VT-220 and its clones; I
was always having to hunt'n'peck for common keys.  I still loathe it.