[TUHS] OK, no more 80 cols please

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Mon Nov 13 01:10:54 AEST 2017

Huh, that's news to me.  The multiple window stuff is what moved me to
vim, been happy there ever since.

If we're talking editors, I still have a hacked version of xvi that I
wacked to use mmap instead of read.  I wacked the string library to
treat \n as NULL (it honored both, it had to, too much would need to
be changed if you didn't) and then wacked the code to just mmap the
file instead of reading it into a pile of strings.

I needed this because I was looking at long trace files from debugging
the kernel and I really wanted to be able to vi them.  On an 8MB Sun
I could look at about a 7MB file and have it all fit in memory.  The
old way only could do half that.

--
---