[TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 12:10:41 AEST 2017

On 11/14/17 7:25 PM, Nemo wrote:
> On 31/10/2017, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>> A previous boss insisted that all his support staff learn ED, because one
>> day it might be the only editor available on a trashed box (you can't
>> mount /usr etc).
> ed man; man ed
>
> https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed-msg.html (Sorry -- could not resist)
>
> N.

For all that it's the butt of jokes, ed is awesome. I didn't really
appreciate it until vi wasn't an easy goto option anymore (v6). After
reading Kernighan's tutorial, I kind of fell in love with it. g/re/p?
Who'd of thunk it? ed may not be 'visual', but the entire document is
editable and its support of regex and the global command are incredibly
powerful. Especially, for so incredibly tiny an editor. Finally, ed is
the sibling of sed and once I got the connection there, it opened up a
whole new world of editing awesomeness.

Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF