[TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Nov 16 03:47:39 AEST 2017

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 05:12:26PM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Noel,
>
> > I've often tried to understand why some people create these incredibly
> > complicated systems. (Looking at the voluminous LISP Machine manual set from
> > Symbolics particularly caused this train of thought...) I think it's because
> > they are too smart - they can remember all that stuff.
>
> But smart people don't have to create complex stuff, see Unix.  :-)

I consider myself reasonably smart but the least smart amongst the team
I lead.  As a result, clever complicated stuff rarely got accepted because
it was too clever for me to understand.

So smart people can choose to be "dumb" and that's what I did and that's
why I can still (mostly) debug the product.

--lm