[TUHS] TECO was: Re: basic tools / Universal Unix

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Fri Nov 17 16:51:49 AEST 2017

On Friday, November 17, 2017, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:

> > On Nov 16, 2017, at 2:58 PM, Andy Kosela <akosela at andykosela.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > If you happen to be on Red Hat derived Linux, the easiest way to turn
> off all this crap is to rename /etc/profile to something like
> /etc/profile.dist and then populate your own startup scripts.
>
> Better is to install a .profile that begins with 'unalias -a'.  That seems
> to clean out all the cruft and leave you with a clean slate to build from.
>
> I've just learned to install my own .profile and .env files, and ignore
> the crap foisted on me by ... whatever ...

Why wasting all the cycles for sourcing all this crap in the first place?
I know we have faster computers now, but still I do not want to load
something that is completely unnecessary, just so I can remove it later
with 'unalias'.

IMHO it is much cleaner to remove/rename all this, and then start with your
own scripts.

I happen to still work a lot on hardware monochrome terminals connected
via serial -- it is noticably slower if color information is included in
the output...

I always hated color on UNIX.  Monochrome green/amber/white is perfectly
fine to me.

--Andy