[TUHS] Determining what was on a tape back in the day

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sun Nov 19 04:57:55 AEST 2017

A quick look, and I think it's an stp (super TP) tape -- stp is from the
Harvard distribution.   This would make sense, because that was the
standard back before tar.
As Ron pointed out, tp (which Ken designed for DECTapes originally) puts
the index at the head of the tape (tar and later cpis threaded the index
inline).   But it means its a fixed size and there were some other issues
(tp may have originally been in assembler IIRC).   On DECtape, tp worked
pretty well/was pretty cool because you could update a block, less so on
9-track which when you re-wrote block N, you lost all blocks afterwards.
 Also, I don't remember why now [probably the limits off the directory],
but it was typically in those days to take all the files in a directory,
turn them into a foo.a (ar format) archive.  So the stp image was a bunch
of files:   dir1/mumble.a  dir2/grumble.a dir3/bumble.a ...
You then needed to unarchive the files within each directory.   Also,
remember ar(1) when through some changes in format between 4-7th editions
as the compiler and linker matured.  So watch out on that front too...

Anyway, v6 tp probably will read it, but if you poke around the TUHS and
bitkeeper archives for the original Harvard distribution, stp.c should
exist.