[TUHS] Determining what was on a tape back in the day

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 07:07:35 AEST 2017

On 11/18/17 12:34 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> If you look here:
>
>    http://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/V6Unix.html#dumpf
>
> Try downloading it and compiling it - if it doesn't work, please let me know;
> it'd be worth fixing it so it does work on Linux.
Works fine. Thanks.
> The 0th block does seem to contain some PDP-11 binary - a bootstrap of some
> sort. I'll look in more detail in a bit.
Cool. I don't quite no how to investigate this other than to pore
through the pdp11/40 instruction manual.
>  From what I can see, it's probably a tp-format tape: the 1st block contains
> some filenames which I can see in an ASCII dump of it:
>
>    speakez/sbrk.s
Well lookit that. I see it now, too :)
>      > v7 and look at its content using tm or tp, but then I realized that I
>      > didn't have a device set up for TU56
>
> You don't need to mount it on DECTape drive - it's just blocks. Mount it as
> an RK05 image, or a magtape, or whatever.
I thought disk (RK05) and tape (magtape) blocks were different...

Thanks,
Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF